About This Course
Everything the non-financial founder needs to know about raising and managing capital to build value. How do I build pro forma financial statements? How much money should I raise? Who should I raise it from and how? How do I deploy capital once I have it? In this course, students have the opportunity to explore financial accounting basics, building pro forma financials, managing working capital, raising capital, and deploying capital in entrepreneurial ventures.
Learn Essential Skills
- How to manage working capital
- Estimate your capital requirement and build a capitalization table
- How to raise capital
- The fundamentals of debt and equity capital
- Understand valuation, convertible notes, and term sheets
Module I – Basic Financial Accounting
This module focuses on the fundamentals of financial accounting with an emphasis on understanding how money flows through a business.
Course Module Objectives:
- Understand the three financial statements and how the elements in each are connected
- Understand how cash moves through a business and how to manage working capital
- Learn about basic financial analysis
- Learn how to build Integrated Pro Forma Financials for your business
- Learn how to estimate your capital requirement in order to build your business
Module II – Raising Money
How much capital does your company need? What sources of capital are available? What are their motivations and expectations? What will you have to give up? These and other important questions will be answered in Module 2.
Course Module 2 Objectives:
- Understanding capital requirements for your venture
- Identify and discuss the various sources of capital and their motivations and expectations for the entrepreneur
- Understand the mindset of Angel and Venture Capitalists and how their business operates
- Understand Convertible Notes
- Understand Term Sheets in Seed and Early-Stage Financings and how to negotiate
- Learn to build a Capitalization Table and Waterfall Analysis
- Learn about Options, Vesting, and Dividing the Pie
Module III – Capital Budgeting Decisions
Should you expand manufacturing? Should you buy that new piece of equipment? Should you open a new location? Scaling can be as challenging as starting. With capital as a constraint, making a poor decision can be quite costly. Module 3 focuses on understanding the decision-making tools at your disposal to assist with capital budgeting and decision-making.
Course Module 3 Objectives:
- Understand Payback Period and Profit Index
- Understand Net Present Value, IRR, and Risk Return
- Understand Free Cash Flow and the Cost of Capital
Learn the basic tools and decision techniques for making capital budgeting decisions
- All Babson and KenAcademy Executive Education programs are taught in English. To participate, we ask that you can speak, read, and write English to get the most out of our programs.
- This course is designed for any founder who knows that they need to understand numbers to improve their chances for success.